The Fishy - Grimsby Town FC

Question of the Week

Where will Grimsby be next season?

The fog clears a little
The fog clears a little

Town End Losing Streak

By: Rob Sedgwick
Date: 13/12/2020

GRIMSBY ended their losing streak with a 1-1 draw at home to Mansfield. Substitute Ira Jackson gave Town the lead with his first goal for the club early in the second half, but the lead lasted just six minutes after Sam Russell brought down Harry Charsley and Maynard scored from the spot to level the game.

Danny Preston, George Williams and Owen Windsor came into the side in place of Montel Gibson, Owura Edwards and Luke Hendrie. New signing Filipe Morais was had to settle for a place on the bench.

Both sides had been struggled to find the net and there was a dearth of opportunities in the early part of the game, and the first chance of note came on the half-hour when a good chance fell to Ryan Sweeney from a corner but his attempt was saved by Russell.

Mansfield has another chance after the break when Town gave the ball away in defence but Lapslie's shot took a slight deflection and hit the side netting.

Edwards came on after 52 minutes and Town started to look more threatening straight away. But first Mansfield threatened again and Russell made a good save from Clarke, but was fortunate the rebound was fired straight at him and he was able to catch it.

A cross from Kellan Gordon soon afterwards was blocked for a Mansfield corner, which was headed out for another one by Waterfall. This time, the referee spotted an infringement as the ball came over from the flag and blew for a Town free kick.

Town took the lead with a good move which culminated in a shot by Hewitt which the keeper palmed away into the path of substitute Jackson who had taken a gamble on such an eventuality for a tap-in. It was a poacher's goal, a rarity in Grimsby colours.

However with Town buzzing the game soon swung back the visitors way. A long ball from defence saw Harry Charsley race clear and he was brought down by Sam Russell. Russell got a yellow card and Maynard levelled the game from the spot.

Clifton was yellow-carded for a foul on Maynard inside the Mansfield half before Town's final substitution saw Tilley replace Pollock in a move which saw Hewitt switch to centre-back.

Waterfall then had a great chance from a corner to put Town back in front but his header was well-saved by Stech.

Both sides had chances in the closing stages and Edwards twice shot wide with some great trickery to put himself in shooting positions but was let down by his finishing.

In the end, both sides were probably happy with a point, with the Mariners hoping for more on Tuesday when they take on bottom club Southend.

After the match, the result was overshadowed by news that Town's directors had been entertaining convicted fraudster Alex May at home games, and director John Fenty was later shown to have set up a property company based in Manchester with the former criminal. The club are yet to comment but the story is potentially explosive, and the ramifications could be far-reaching.

Add To Facebook

This site is by the fans, for the fans, and we will consider articles on any subject relating to the Mariners whether it be related to current news, a nostalgic look back in the past, a story about a player, a game or games in the past, something about Blundell Park or football in general. Click here to submit your article!

Related Stories

Forum Latest
Thread TitlePostsLatest Post
The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread1,298Lincoln Mariner 5614/06 12:37
Jordan Wright signs for Grimsby Town!15TownSNAFU514/06 12:29
New kit290LocalLadGTFC14/06 12:14
Big crane 31Ruuger14/06 10:49
Who will win Euro 202418Hagrid14/06 09:52
White socks this season.31supertown14/06 09:25
Swindon 26GollyGTFC14/06 08:24
TV Games/Upcoming Fixtures3SiteBot14/06 04:30
2024–2025 League Two Transfers In26Nelly GTFC14/06 00:26
Ex-GTFC players thread4,371forza ivano13/06 22:09